Thursday, April 13, 2017
Pick your event start time anytime on Thursday, June 22nd, 2017!
- Update or develop your media list including contact info and deadlines for local media and community calendars.
- Determine who will work the event and decide if you’ll need to recruit volunteer help including instructors. Partnering with your local swim school, YMCA or Red Cross chapter is a great way to build your program and involve other local entities.
- Determine what equipment you’ll need onsite for the event such as a table for participant registration, clip boards, pens, podium or microphone for your instructors, signs for parking, etc.
- Determine who will serve as witnesses for your event. You’ll need to submit one witness letter to qualify your location’s participation. Call or send letters of request to those you’ve selected. See pages 26-33 in the Host Location Kit for more information on witnesses.
- Review the WLSL promotional materials and determine how you will use them to market and promote your WLSL event in your community.
- Customize and print posters and fliers.
- Post a WLSL banner on your website.
- Review your social media posting schedule and begin making posts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. about your WLSL event.
Wednesday, May 3, 2017
Distribute Your First Local Market Press Release
We recommend sending your first press release well before the Memorial Day holiday to position your WLSL event as a culminating event for National Water Safety Month in May and to increase the likelihood your event will be included in upcoming Memorial Day weekend/beginning of summer news stories.
Friday, May 5, 2017
Increase Your WLSL Promotion Efforts
- Put up WLSL posters at grocery stores, coffee shops, bookstores, recreation centers and on other community
- Distribute WLSL fliers through your local sporting goods stores.
- Send an email blast to customers, members and season pass holders.
- Ramp up your social media postings. See page 45 for sample posts.
Monday, May 15, 2017
International Water Safety Day
Leverage this international day recognizing water safety to recruit local participation in your WLSL lesson. Visit Internationalwatersafetyday.org to learn more. Let your local media know the WLSL event is about one month away!
Tuesday, May 16, 2017
Find Local Partners In Your Area
Check the WLSL website to see if there are other facilities in your community that are participating, and if so, reach out and discuss how you can work together to get the most coverage for your WLSL events in your market.
Wednesday, May 17, 2017
Schedule WLSL Event Team Meetings
We know this is a tough time of year and getting volunteers and seasonal staff together will be tricky. If possible, we recommend getting together with all the staff and volunteers you’ve recruited for your WLSL event to walk through the schedule and review responsibilities. Be sure to discuss timing, your participant registration process and any special elements you have planned for your facility.
Thursday, May 18, 2017
Pre Memorial Day Press Release
- Look for a national WLSL press release distributed through PR Newswire.
- Distribute an updated press release to your local media to capitalize on media coverage surrounding the Memorial Day holiday.
- Provide updates to your followers on social media about how your WLSL event planning is going.
Monday, May 29, 2017
Memorial Day Holiday
Make it a safe and wonderful Memorial Day holiday for all of your guests!
Friday, June 2, 2017
Staff, Instructor, Volunteer Run-Through
We recommend bringing together your WLSL team one additional time prior to the big day to do a final
walk-through of the participant registration and sign-in process, staging for instructors and any details that will
help ensure an exact start time for your lesson.
Look for your shipment of 25 wristbands to arrive that are included in your registration fee (Your registration must be paid by 6/6/2017 to have your wristbands shipped.) In 2017, for groups of 3 or more facilities we are sending a maximum of 75 wristbands. Consider ordering more from our product partner, Water Safety Products
. You can order online
or by calling 1-800-987-7238. See page 22 in the Host Location Kit for more details.
Thursday, June 8, 2017
Registration Officially Closes
At the end of the day, online registration will close to new host location sign ups. If you have already completed the registration process, then you may disregard this date.
Friday, June 9, 2017
Media Invitations Distributed
Distribute WLSL media advisories to local market press to promote onsite photo and video opportunities available at your facility the day of the WLSL event.
Thursday, June 22, 2017
World’s Largest Swimming Lesson™ Day!
All WLSL lessons occur anytime during Thursday, June 22nd! GO TEAM WLSL!
Tweet updates and post photos of your event on your Facebook pages or Instagram accounts today. Be sure to reference @TheWLSL and #wlsl in all your posts.
Thursday, July 6, 2017
Post Event Materials Postmark Deadline
Submitting WLSL participant counts and required reporting materials. NOTE: To be included in the official WLSL record, all qualification materials (witness letters, participant log sheets, still photos, social media reporting and any other required and optional materials) must be postmarked to WLSL Event Submissions by Thursday, July 6th.